Shrinking gag

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Feb 16 18:24:54 CET 2004

MADS JENSEN, 16-02-2004:

> The movie series "Honey, I shrunk the kids" (which I believe is
> made by Disney) reuses the gag in several movies, and now even
> started a half-hour comedy show based on the storylines.

The Beatles also used a shrinking gag, in their movie "Help!" (1965).

Paul McCartney is shrunk a by an accidental injection from two crazy
scientists. He washes himself in an ash-tray, using cola. And he tries
to smoke a real-size cigarette, but immediately faints while doing so.
When the other Beatles see a red spot on the floor, they panick because
they think they've just crushed Paul.

I find 'Help!' a very funny, zany movie, by the way. A lot of scenes
look like embryonic Monty Python to me. But maybe it's just the
"English humour" that I recognize. Compared with today's standards,
the movie is a bit slow. It's not suitable for impatient people who
are only used to (modern) fast movies.

--- Daniël

"Stop! You don't know what you're doing to yourself"
(Which Barks story?) :-)
Hint #1: These words are spoken by Donald.
Hint #2: Donald is talking to an animal.