More Ellsworth

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Wed Feb 18 21:21:23 CET 2004

LUCA says

>the minah
>bird was baptized Gancio "il dritto" (which means something like "the cool")
>from his first translation. The creator of name and nickname is the famous
>story man Guido Martina.

Who managed to make a rather nice pun with this name + nickname set
as well.

"gancio" means "hook" in Italian, and "dritto", while meaning
indeed "smart", "sharp", in its literal sense also means "straight",
"linear"

Straight Hook, geddit ? ;-)

And on this theme I would also like to add that Luca Boschi himself,
as writer, relatively recently revamped the Ellsworth character in an
unfortunately short series of very nice "comedy" stories, teaming
again Ellsworth with Goofy but also adding to the picture another
semi-forgotten character from the vault of classics, Goofy's inventor
uncle Wombat of "Tock tock time machine" fame.

The running gag is the absent-minded inventor always politely
addressing Ellsworth as "Mr. Il Dritto", mistaking his nickname
for an actual surname, much to Ellsworth's annoyance :-)

Cheers!

Eta Beta