Re: Daniël's Christmas quotes / Money bin stories & variations

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 5 21:26:45 CET 2004

Hi again!

Daniël:

I've made a point of answering only from memory, but this time i've cahnced
upon the story by reading it.

>>>  7. "If I can keep anything BAD from happening to it, I may get a
>>>     four-dollar bonus for Christmas!"
>>>     (Page shows a Disney character with a shovel and a wheelbarrow.)

The "Disney character" somewhat hint threw me off  the scent, as I imagined
it might mean someone else than the ducks; and seeing the panel (p 1 panel
2), I notice you only see the wheelbarrow in it (both are shown in the
previous and next panels). All this certainly explains why I couldn't find
the answer.  :b  ;)
WDC&S 171, December 1954 ("The Too-Safe Safe"; CBL of  WDC&S iC Album 27)

I love this story. Very funny. Hilarious even.
ex: when Donald sees the mouse, instead of  looking for something to catch
it, he fetches a ladder and nails a pillow to the ceiling!
ex: "I'm going to fatten the mouse so fat the *cat* can outrun *him*!"
ex: Donald's reward & Scrooge's laugh ("Hey!")

Barks wrote a similar story four years later (October '58), for Disneyland
Birthday Party" ("The forbidium Money Bin"; CBL of  U$A iC Album 34), which
I love too. Uncle Scrooge locks himself  out of  the Bin after installing a
super protection (this time because of  a bunch of  grapes); same funny
two-time reaction to the realization.
Funny quote: "All I heard it say was Ding Ding!"

Other brilliant variation on the too perfect invention: Don Rosa's
"Universal Solvent".
Having just (re)read "Christmas for Shacktown" & "Gyro's First Invention",
the last panel of  the "Too-Safe Safe" brought a smile, with Scrooge staying
at Donald's house to eat. Nice continuity.
Another funny quote from that story: "Oh, oh! I recognize that *dime*! It's
one I *didn't* spend at the World's Fair in 1907!" Another variation, this
time on the Scrooge-knows-all-his-coins-and-bills; the funny bit is that
it's not a dime that he has earned, but one has has not spent; since he
hardly spends anything, I wonder what made it so memorable-- something
teribly tempting which he resisted?

More funny quotes & notes...

WDC&S 165, June 1954 ("The Price of  Fame", CBL of  WDC&S iC Album 26):
"Say, I *do* have *timbre* in my voice! I'm mildly surprised!"
Donald's enthusiasm and the crescendo (tuba, drumkit, oneman band,
locomotive whistles organ) make the story.

WDC&S 166, June 1954 ("Midgets Madness", CBL of  WDC&S iC Album 26):
"I'd gladly wipe up your grease!"-- hilarious!
"I've got a sore finger!"
All of  Donald's mishaps, and the boys' pedal cars.
Another variation: the reverse of  the Master stories; here, Donald keeps
going down, just as in the fireman ten-pager (WDC&S 86, Nov '47-- demoted
down from ladder man to wet sack man!): from replacement driver to "*weight
man* on the clod masher"! "I'm not even doing a good job at this!" --
priceless!
Another such degrading job I remember is the one in the Sagmore Springs
Hotel story (tramping down the potato peelings) (WDC&S 206, Nov '57; CBL of
WDC&S iC Album 34) .

Olivier