About Daisy

Arthur Faria Jr. afaria at brasopolis.com.br
Sun Jan 25 03:40:18 CET 2004

> I've thoroughly enjoyed what folks have had to say about Daisy, and I've
> been disappointed that the thread hasn't drawn more attention.  IMHO, I
> think Daisy ISN'T a very satisfying character most of the time. (...)

> Daisy has her moments, even though her character has so many diverse
> incarnations!  Some of my favorite Daisy moments (in no particular order)
> are.

> *The Donald short cartoon, "Donald's Dilemma."  She's a strongly
> identifiable character here, and I love when she shouts "ME!  ME!  ME!"
> *The Donald short cartoon, "Daisy's Diary."  She is a really sexist
> stereotype there, but she is awful funny.  I love how she looks after the
> honeymoon is over!  I love all of the sailors outside of the chapel too!
> *The Blocks' "Three Little Cupids."  Daisy's a perfect match for Donald in
> this story!  She actually has a tangible personality that isn't an
> unrealistic superwoman or a sexist stereotype.
> *Van Horn's "Heavy Duty."  I love the unwitting destruction she wreaks on
> Donald in this story.
> *Janet Gilbert's "Night Shift."  Daisy's a realistic, psychologically
> satisfying character in a very absurd situation.  This story really
tickled
> me!

Matt, unfortunately you never read any of the hundreds of Brazilian
Daisy stories published in her own comic book "Margarida" from 1986 to 1997
(257 issues) You can see some covers at:

http://www.papersera.net/vilaxurupita/mg/mg001_025.htm

and complete issue indexing in Inducks. The Brazilian creators opted for
turning that old silly Daisy Duck into a modern, liberated woman who
coincidently was a "highly motivated TV" (and also newspaper) "journalist
and career woman". This "New Daisy", as she was known, was created
several years before Quack Pack and House of Mouse shows (just
for your information)

Anyway, I'm sure you'd love to read those Brazilian Daisy stories ---
which were also published in Italy, some in France and few
in Denmark I guess. (Maybe other countries don't like motivated
female characters... :-)

-- Arthur.