Donald and the Girls

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed Jan 28 18:03:32 CET 2004

Nils "Klartekst" Smeby wrote:

> in "The Oddyssey" by Gorm Transgård and Vicar (D96308) Donald is
> shipwrecked on a tropical island and meets a beautiful pearl diver. He
> is certainly in love with her and she seems more than a little
> interested in him too. Wouldn't it be fun if she turned up in Duckburg
> one day? Especially since, according to this story, the reason Donald
> always wears a sailor's suit is so that she will recognize him if they
> ever meet again. A sequal just waiting to be told, hint, hint.

Doing a sequel to "The Odyssey" certainly has possibilities, but I'm not
sure it's a good idea. If we want to avoid the sequel being pointless
(and thus frustrate the readers), it would have to feature more than a
cameo from the girl. She would have to meet up with Donald and get to
know him. Which then raises the problem: If the girl knows everything
about Donald, including who he is and where he lives, why does he
continue to wear his sailor suit after that? And since (for the sake of
continuity) Donald and the pearl diver would have to split up at the end
of the story, we would be reducing the girl from being a mysterious
"lost love" to merely being some girl Donald was interested in at some
point -- but no longer is. (Not as much as he is in Daisy, anyway.)

While doing a sequel to "The Odyssey" might be fun, there's a good
chance it would work negatively on the story it's supposed to be an
homage to.

Lars