Thoughts on Daisy

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 04:45:31 CET 2004

I know this contribution is late, but (insert predictable cliché here).

Daisy is characterless. She exists for her stereotype. She has no real,
identified personality. But despite all of this, don't we NEED her? What would
Disney (the comics and otherwise) be without her? Although she exists for the sole
purpose of being Donald's girl friend, we NEED someone to exist for that
reason. "Flat" characters should be a part of any "universe," whether it's in a
cartoon or TV show or novel - even "flat" characters who appear regularly.

Believe it or not, certain scenarios (in the cartoons more than the comics,
admittedly) have worked really well with Daisy, one of the Disney universe's
truly weak characters.

And although she appears frequently in merchandising and whatnot, I think she
was used (fittingly) sparingly in the cartoons and comics. The character
worked - and still does, to an extent.

Daisy shouldn't be criticized as a character, since, in a way, she ISN'T one.
She's a plot device. All good literature needs its character-disguised plot
devices.

Thanks for making your way through this fragmented drivel. Are there any
thoughts on my views? How completely "off" am I?

Dane