Envy and Greed

L. Schulte lschulte at sfstoledo.org
Thu Jan 29 16:29:37 CET 2004

I wrote earlier:  "As a general statement, the Europeans tend to take a
>more socialized view that somehow gathering great wealth is bad, and
>therefore must have been done illegally or at least immorally, and that
>great wealth must be redistributed.  Americans admire the Bill Gates..."

Jonathan Gray wrote:
Heehee - you've obviously never met half my computer geek friends. ^__^

No, but most Americans are not computer geeks!  (Thank Heavens!)  I will
still maintain, with more difficulty in these politicized days, that
Scrooge is more of an American character than a European: Don Rosa's recent
story here about his Italian grandfather is an interesting example of how
someone born in Europe is transformed into an American by the dominant
culture of success here. (I see this atmosphere diminishing more and more
as the politics of envy and greed divide us more and more, but that is a
different story.)