The Chronological Donald & Carl Barks

Carey Furlong stratocruiser at cox.net
Fri Jul 23 03:00:28 CEST 2004

Derek Smith smith wrote about the Chronological Donald, Vol 1:

> For comics fans, check out the gallery to see Donald Duck comic
> covers and
> strips and hear Leonard Maltin's commentary on DD's comic
> book/strip history
> (Carl Barks isn't mentioned, since like the cartoons, most of the
> story is about
> 1941 and before).

Actually, Carl Barks is mentioned on the CD, in the "Story and Background
Art Gallery" section, as the artist for the "Seat Scouts" cartoon.  Maltin
mentions that Barks continued to use his skill in action-storyboarding later
when he became the premiere artist for Donald Duck comics.

As I watched the Sea Scouts cartoon, I thought I saw some gags that looked
very similar to those used by Barks in the comics.  At one point in the
cartoon, a giant shark is chasing Donald and H, D, and L.  The kids are in a
rowboat and rowing so hard and fast that the boat is 10 or 15 feet above the
water, with only the criss-crossed oars below the boat making contact with
the water far below.  This same scene appears in "Noble Porpoises" in WD
Comics & Stories 218.  When I saw this in the cartoon I knew it must have
been Barks (it looked just like the comic), and Maltin later confirmed it.
I think Barks may have used the high-flying boat gag with criss-crossed oars
in other comics, but I can't think of them just now.

The "Publicity and Memorabilia Gallery" on the CD shows a number of first
comic covers and Maltin mentions first character appearances in them.
Maltin also details Al Talifaro and Bob Carp's development of the first
Disney comics.  Some early comic stories are even included. The first pages
of the comic that introduced Huey, Dewey and Louie are shown, including the
page where their mother is mentioned in the letter Donald reads.  Maltin
talks about the confusion over the names Dumbella and Della, due to
cartoon/comic cross-over.

A really great CD.  I'm anticipating Volume 2.

Carey M Furlong
Dana Point, California
Stratocruiser at cox.net