Floyd Norman Talks About Mickey Mouse Comic Strip Days

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 14:27:07 CEST 2004

Steven sez:

the fact that while attractive looking, his strip just wasnt (to me)
very
funny or very interesting (even the censored ones) may have something
to do with
his strips lack of success in the  newspaper marketplace. Of course i am
several decades older than the target audience for this strip ....so it
wasnt meant
to appeal to me....

   comic strips are a tough sell in today's market - a recent newspaper
chain
in the USA (knight-rider?) has stated they plan to drop 1/3 of their
comics
unless they get a 1/3 price cut....!  Newspaper editors are a notorious
nervous
lot, and what is good for movies or tv, isnt quite right for papers....

Now me:

I digress. Comic strips are a cutthroat market. And the info you posted
makes it all the more blatant. Creating a strip for a niche within such
a tight market is quite difficult. But it doesn't help when newspaper
editors think of comics as over glorified filler to print. Maybe with a
different mind set, it might be possible to take advantage of what they
have. Maybe do a promo of some sort to promote newspapers as a family
thing.   I'm afraid outside of that, I don't really have a dynamic
solution to this problem. Most likely comic strips will become a relic
of the past in newspapers. It's a shame, because newspaper comics have
had such a rich and colorful history. If you can't take my word for it,
just check out the book "Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics" by
Bill Blackbeard.
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0874741726/
qid=1090583457/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-3705020-6216930?v=glance&s=books>
It's quite astounding what was.

Oh well... As far as the Donald Duck strip's concerned, I'm not sure if
it's even being produced today. I visited King Features Syndicate's
site (Disney's Syndicator for the past 50, 60 years), and it's not
listed. I do remember one of the self proclaim Donaldists on this list
posted a link to a site that links to a Danish or Norwegian DD strip.
Wish I had it bookmarked. But that was being distributed by a local
distributer, not King Features and I have no clue if they're reprints
or not. Doesn't bring a lot of hope. :P   I assume when King Features'
contract with Disney expired, the DD and MM strips went along with it.

Chris