Disney Outdated?

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 14:07:09 CEST 2004

Cord Wiljes posted:

One questions remains to be addressed though. I will put it here in all
bluntness:

   Are Disney comics outdated?

Are we here on this list just a bunch of old fools reveling in
nostalgia, trying to recapture the vanished wonders of our youth?

Me:

Well, is the glass half empty or half full? Should we start the funeral
now, or should we wait till Disney comics actually dies first? I never
though after the over-saturation the world with "Turtle Power", that
the Ninja Turtles would ever have a cartoon series again? Maybe this
isn't a fair comparison, but properties and franchises never die, just
evolve or reinvent themselves. For what it's worth Gemstone's doing
pretty damn good after a three year absence of Disney.

   The bottom line are sells. Doesn't matter if they're kids, adults, or
stray dogs... For all intensive purposes, the comic industry should
have died over three times by now, but it's still going strong.
(althouogh it sputters every now and then.) I remember a couple of
years ago writers/ columnists on the net were full of fear and loathing
over the fate of the industry.

Eventhough Disney comics aren't found in ever house hold the the US and
elsewhere, I think we're far from seeing the end.