DCML Digest Issue 12

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Jun 12 14:34:21 CEST 2004

> From: "Mickey" <mickey at iol.it>
> Subject: About the Caballeros
> I'd like to know from Don Rosa what the past, untold adventures
> of the Three
> Caballeros should be, since the movie is quite unsuitable with his
> conception of the Duck universe

The past, untold adventures of the Three Caballeros can be whatever I want
them to be or whatever you can imagine them to be. I'm actually puzzled by
why you think the 1945 film is unsuitable for me to fit into my stories --
it was not a "story" film, it was simply a (wonderful and inspired)
fantasy-travelogue. The characters were constantly doing impossible things,
talking or performing to the camera/audience, and otherwise existing and
acting in a totally imaginary environment. All that leaves are the
characters whose personalities and backgrounds I can interpolate from their
dialogue and actions in the film, and put into actual stories with plots and
logic, etc.
As I've said, there were decades of stories that already existed of Jose
Carioca which had always been unavailable to me, either because the very few
that ever appeared in America did so long before I was born and have never
been reprinted, or they have appeared in only Brazilian or Dutch comics
which I'd never seen. My research into these strips indicated that Jose was
depicted as a "lovable bum" who lived in a slum and was always involved in
plots to cheat people out of money, landing him in jail, and so forth. I'm
sure I would have loved that character if I'd grown up with it, but I
hadn't, and it was definitely not the sort of character I wanted to tell
stories of... which again lead me back to interpolating characters based on
the original film that I love so much.