Credits

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 15:22:20 CEST 2004

Thom Roep quote via Martijn Houwen:
"We don't put it in it, because it hasn't much sense. We

sell some 340,000 copies of the magazine. 2.3 million

people read it. How many should be interested? 200?

300? The readers know that it isn’t Walt Disney who

makes them, but it doesn’t interest them who it well

does. And the real fans can see who it made.”

Now me:

Mr. Roep seems to come off a little short-sighted. Toddlers, kids, and
living-breathing fantasies aside, publishers can build followings with
"names". Image Comics would've never gotten off the ground or become
the big-time publisher it is if it weren't for "names" like Jim Lee and
  Todd Mc Farlane. Why do people care? Because of their work back in
their  Marvel Comics days. Creators with a great deal of talent begin
to build up name recognition over the years as well as loyal fans. (I
stress the word "loyal".) Artists and writers with enough fame and
credibility attached to them could instantly bring attention and sells
(money) to whatever project/title he/she works on.

   Maybe only 200 to 300 Dutch readers care about who makes the comics.
Why not double or triple that number? Give readers more of a reason to
care with names like Don Rosa, Carl Barks, or William Van Horn? I
myself am a loyal Disney fan, but I'd be more inclined to purchase a
title that has work by someone I enjoy and respect than an unknown.
Maybe  Dutch editors could get more copies sold among those 2.3 million
readers. I'm sure there are quite a few talented Dutch writers and
artists that could be built up into stars and could through their own
merits, build a solid fan base that will buy week after week, month
after month because of their names and the credibility attached to them.

   Disney editors in Europe are quite lucky because they don't have to
deal with the stigma of "Disney Comics are only for kids" that those in
the US (or North America if we include Canada) have to struggle with.
Star-Trek fans have more respect that adults who read Disney Comics.
Adult comic fans are expect to graduate up to the super-hero books,
then (for those of us hormonally challenged :P) XXX comics. Then again,
in mainstream society, you're expected to be shed of comic books by
high school. It's frustrating some of the reactions I get just
mentioning comic books, let alone any Disney material. It's not like
I'm even obsessive or anything. (Or I don't think I am.) But it's not
easy mentioning comic books in everyday conversation unless it involves
a movie.

   The bottom-line is that credits/names have value too and can be used
to a publisher's advantage. Hell, I'd think it only help if Disney
finally broke down these barriers and not only encourage publishers to
credit those that put in the hard work in every Disney comic, but even
let them sign their own work. I don't seriously think anyone would be
turned off by a signature other than Walt Disney's on a Disney comic
book.

That's my two-cents,

Chris