DCML Digest, Vol 16, Issue 15 - CREDITS

BFOSTERLA@aol.com BFOSTERLA at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 20:04:39 CEST 2004

In a message dated 6/14/2004 10:37:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,

From: "Daniel van Eijmeren" <dve at kabelfoon.nl>
Subject: Credits

Have many people do carefully read the credits after a movie is over?
Granted, the general public probably pays little attention to the production
credits at the end of a movie, but how many went to see the movie in the first
place because it starred Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Nicole Kidman or Cary
Grant? How many go to a movie because it was written by a particular
screenwriter or directed by a particular director?

RE: The Thom Roep quote elsewhere:
"The readers know that it isn’t Walt Disney who makes them, but it doesn’t
interest them who it well does. And the real fans can see who made it .”

How could fans know who made it if there's never a name on it? If someone new
comes along and does some good work, I like to know who it is. In a sense,
these are the equivalent of screenwriters, actors and directors of a movie. I
think at some point such information should be available to those who do want to
know. I don't advocate plastering credits all over the splash panels like
some publishers do, but having the information available to those interested is
nice. I prefer somewhere else in the comic, like on the editor's page or letter
page.