Dutch Credits

Pascal Oost oost at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 15 08:58:45 CEST 2004

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Chris Hilbig wrote:

> one of the biggest selling points of Disney syndicated
> products was the name "Walt Disney" and the illusion of fans that Walt
> did all that work himself.

I remember the time when this philosophy was used for the entire Dutch
weekly magazine. None of the people producing it, were mentioned, 'because
children wanted to believe the magazine was made by Walt Disney'.
Now every issue of Donald Duck weekly carries a long list of names of its
staff: editorial staff, editorial artists, designers, technical assistants,
editorial assistants, marketing people, who's selling the advertisement
space, etcetera.
But not the creators of the comics. I can't explain that.

Apart from being great and fun, creating Disney comics is also a job. And a
job needs to be rewarding. Considering it does not pay well, there is no
job-security whatever, and selling all publishing rights to Disney takes
away all possible future income from re-publishing, it's becoming hard to
feel motivated to work for Disney comics.
Crediting his work could be one (cheap) way to help a artist feel
appreciated.