Gemstone's new trend and Blum's new Barks story

rodney-selfhelpbikeco@juno.com rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
Tue May 11 15:46:40 CEST 2004

>The worst part, though (this has sadly been the trend lately) was the
>Mickey story, another flash and thunder "magic" tale.

I don't mind this sort of story occasionally, but every issue of at least two books a month is a bit much.  It's become expected instead of a different plot device.

>It would seem
>Egmont, in reaction to the boringly perfect Mickey of Paul Murry, has
>gone to the opposite extreme and made our Mouse an unsure-of-himself
>bumbler

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....with WDCS being 64 pages, there's no reason why there can't be a new MM story, and a chapter of an old Paul Murray story.  Yes, Mickey is "boringly perfect" in those, but I like Murray's art, and the stories hold value to me because I was never able to collect three issues in a row as a kid.

>This stuff on Blum's "new" story using Barks' old cartoon outline is
>interesting.....But why is he working magic into the plot?

I can't answer that question, but it's no surprise in my mind.  If this story lives up to the reputation of Blum's other two Barks influenced stories, it'll be utterly forgetable, and full of modern references that are sure to delight some, and infuriate others.  I'm sure we'll be seeing it soon.

rodney.