DCML Digest, Vol 21, Issue 26 tiff format images (final note on this!)

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at inducks.org
Mon Nov 29 19:39:35 CET 2004

> Wdposter at aol.com wrote:

>> A Tiff file is another image format, like Jpeg or bitmap.  Scanning
>>  and saving an image in tiff format results in a smaller file size
>> than if you saved it as a jpg, adobe pdf or bitmap image.  (bitmap
>> and pdf images are huge in file size)

In my eager I completely forgot to mention Adobe's PDF and PS.

Those two are models as well, but "strict" ones. In the light of my
previous mail, we could call them 3a) or something.

PS is based on vector graphics (used for drawing text, boxes, arrows,
lines and schematical figures). You can zoom into infinity without
losing the quality. Saving scanned images as PS (or PDF) is a silly idea
though, since the models used are not "geared" for that, mostly you
might end up with files, which are larger that the scanned image
uncompressed.

PDF can be considered a zip-like version of PS. Strange thing is
however, that if you zip a PS file you'll often turn out with something
smaller than the PDF.

The most important vector graphic formats are:
PDF, PS, DXF, CGM, HPGL and the new interesting SVG, which can be
embedded directly into your HTML files/sites.

Enough of this. Hope it nevertheless gave an overview :-)

Søren