Spam problems with mailman on the DCML

Richard lerichard at free.fr
Sun Oct 3 18:28:06 CEST 2004

It seems the DCML is victim of its own popularity!
After I have subscribed recently to this list and posted a few messages there
with a totally new email address, I quickly started receiveing spam. I
have two friends with the same experience.
It seems spamers can easily collect email addresses from the "user at
domain.com" text on the DCML archive web pages.

Unfortunately even the latest mailman edition doesn't hide email addresses on
web pages. What's worse, I contacted the authors and it doesn't seem they
want to change that, for some obscure reason. However, they pointed me to
this:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=850805&group_id=103&atid=300103

Maybe it's worth looking at the above URL. This patch add emails from web
pages.

If you converse privately, it could take years before you're spammed. With the
DCML, this is a matter of days. And I don't see the benefit of having our
addresses on all the DCML archives web pages.