Barks and "bible belt" (Re: Barks and religion")

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Apr 8 18:31:18 CEST 2005

Today, in my previous email, I asked:

> Barks ends the letter with: "It would be a pleasure for me to meet a
> reader who digs comic books. Up here in the bible belt people only
> read the good book and the Walnut Growers' Nutshell News." [...]
> BTW. What does "bible belt" exactly mean? What tone does it have?

Someone replied me:

" The "Bible belt" refers to an area of the US where there seems to be a
disproportionate (for the country, that is) number of
"fundamentalist/conservative" Christians. There's a map in this Wikipedia
article <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_belt>... I would have to guess
that Mr. Barks considered the "belt" to extend westward to California. =) "

--- Daniël

"All this GOOD LUCK comes from having a MASCOT!"
(Which Barks story?) :-)