A Letter from Home, Life of $crooge, Rich scouts

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 5 13:38:00 CEST 2005

Hi, everyone!

- Daniël -

>>> In Rosa-adventure 'A Letter From From Home' (D 2003-081), Scrooge is
>>> mourning over never having received letters from his father, and about
>>> not knowing whether or not his father is proud of him. This raises
>>> questions when reading Lo$8 and Lo$9.
>>> In Lo$8 Scrooge gets letters from his mother and father.
>>> In Lo$9 Scrooge meets his farther in Scotland, and he tells Scrooge
>>> that he is proud of him, which is celebrated with a party.
>>> How does this match with the mourning and misunderstandings in 'A
>>> Letter From Home'?

That first letter (Chapter 8) was written in 1896; Scrooge saw his father in
1902 (Chapter 9), and the latter pased away when Scrooge and his siters
left.
Then his sisters parted with him in 1930, when he returns to Duckburg after
almost 30 years travelling around the world, because he has changed so much
in the meantime.
"The Old Castle's Other Secret; or, A Letter From Home" (I like that old
style "or, " kind of  title) takes place in the early '50s.
Scrooge knew in 1896 and 1902 that his parents were proud of  him at the
time, but he has no idea of  knowing whether his father / mother would have
approved of  his empire-building, or whether they truly understood what it
all meant to him, however proud of  his achievements they might have said
they were.
This letter therefore comforts him, as it gives him the assurance that his
father did understand him.

I only got U$ 342 last month, and was thus only able to finally read the
story a few weeks ago, but unfortunately haven't had time to comment on it
yet. I'll seize this opportunity.

I loved it, it's a great story.
Not for the mystery, the adventure, the puzzle, the rooting in history,
however good they all are. These are definitely not what make the story
outstanding and interesting-- there are other such treasure hunts, and
according to one's taste, possibly better ones by Barks & Rosa.
I'm stating the obvious, but the true interest and point of  the story, and
utlimately, the true treasure, for the reader as well as for Scrooge, is the
relationship between Matilda and Scrooge, and the letter.

Don-- Mr Rosa, you excel at character-writing and melodrama-- in a good
sense. I'm not of  the overly sensitive kind that cries easily, but I'm not
a rock either, and can be truly moved by fiction. Two comic stories have
brought tears to my eyes; the end of Chapter 9, that splendid finale
featuring the ghosts of  Scrooge's parents, and the beautiful conclusion of
this story.

The scene between Matlida and Scrooge, the sad Scrooge, the memories, and
the letter, are wonderful moments. i love the staging too-- Scrogoe's father
solving the clues, finding the treasure, writing this letter and leaving it
with the treasure for Scrooge to find, knowing he will certainly do.

One thing astounded me; I guess it was discussed when the story was first
published, then reprinted, but I skipped all these discussions to avoid
spoilers.
The inclusion in the treasure of  the Grail and the Ark was already a
surprise.
But how could Donald do such a thing to the Grail really floored me. And how
could it pass (friendly) censorship? Have there been any complaints?
Of  course, one might argue we can't be sure it *is* the Holy Grail.

This story is definitely one of  the best, on the basis of  its last few
pages; and it's the true conclusion, in a sense, of  "The Life and Times of
Scrooge McDuck"-- since the very true conclusion, that ditty of  a last
adventure of  Scrooge's, is something that can probably never be told-- nor
should be...

Olivier