DCML Digest Issue 8

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Aug 5 14:16:06 CEST 2005

> From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
> Subject: Re: A Letter from Home, Life of $crooge, Rich scouts
> One thing astounded me;
> The inclusion in the treasure of  the Grail and the Ark was already a
> surprise.
> But how could Donald do such a thing to the Grail really
> floored me. And how
> could it pass (friendly) censorship? Have there been any complaints?

None that I've ever heard. But I purposely designed the story so as to leave
the decision to make that goblet be the Holy Grail up to each individual
national editor. They could very easily have just referred to it as a "very
precious bejeweled goblet". So it's not "censorship" if I design it to be
changed at will. Besides, it can never be censorship when I don't own my
work. It's "discretionary decisions".

And thanks for all your kind words about that story! (But I still thought it
was sorta on the lame side as regards humor and action -- the story *I* like
is the one I finally sent in last week, "The Prisoner of White Agony Creek".
But I expect many or most readers will think *that's* the one that's sorta
lame.) (And there will be *more* obvious opportunities for "discretionary
decisions" in a few scenes in that one. Like when the snow melts off the
cabin roof. Ooooh, baby! But I tells 'em like I sees 'em.)