Donald's lost riches and a point about Scrooge's hourglass

JOHN CHADWICK wolfsong at mpinet.net
Mon Aug 15 16:57:15 CEST 2005

As I read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and I marvel at Don Rosa's expertise on continuity in the Barksian Duckverse, I wonder how he accounts for the number of times Donald has struck it rich without Scrooge's involvement.  For example, a Norse map at the end of "Luck of the North" is supposed to be far more valuable than the gold that Gladstone removed from the Viking ship, and at the end of "The Gilded Man" he has $50,000, not a vast fortune, but still a lot to just fritter away.  I know that Donald has traditionally been terrible at holding on to his money, but I hate to think that he'd just squander whole fortunes away.  I hope he at least set up college funds for Huey, Dewey and Louie before finding himself having to make ends meet again.

BTW, regarding Don's sidenotes on "The Magic Hourglass", I'd say he was right to not use that to explain how Scrooge built his fortune, but I can still see it fitting into Barks continuity.  It's easy for me to imagine Scrooge leaping to conclusions about the hourglass when his assets take a dip the very day he gives the hourglass away. So, even if it were only a coincidence, I can see him travelling around the world to get it back just to be on the safe side.
.