Red Alert - Gisele and her Tio Patinhas (Uncle Scrooge) Comics

asaramelli asaramelli at ig.com.br
Sat Aug 27 06:55:52 CEST 2005

On Saturday August 20, Alexandre Samarelli wrote:>Situation is not good in
brazilian subsidiary of McDuck Enterprises . Unfortunately, Disney Comics in
Brazil is in an advanced death penalty process.

On Thursday, August 25, Alexandre Samarelli wrote: >I and all the brazilian
comics fans are under red alert. Help us with your >influence, to keep the
brazilian Disney Comics Quality.

Could you tell us some more about this "red alert" situation, you seem very
concerned about? I'm afraid I didn't quite understand the fully extend of
this. Is your local Disney comics publisher in danger of closing, or is this
simply a case of them doing too many reprints of old stories and too few new
ones, and you not liking it? Or is it the quality of new stories, you are
concerned about?

Best regards, Ole Daamgard

Dear Mr. Ole Daamgard and all DCML friends

I thank you for the ask, and curiosity. It´s good to share this situation
with the international Disney Comics Fans, because, some times there are
things only fans are able to observe.
And with your help we become more stronger to our voice be heard.

In the first place, I´m going to comment some aspects we observe as readers
(customers) in Disney Comics brazilian market, and after, my personl opinion
about the causes :

Disney comics used to be for many years the top selled products for our
local publisher, the Editora Abril. From a small publisher in 50's  and
60's, Editora Abril turned the first brazilian publisher, with an enormous
industrial and commercial operation.
Since the end of the local comics histories production, the comics quality
is decreasing each month. When I say "quality decreasing ", I´m not saying
about the quality of histories. I´m saying about the quality of print
product, distribuition ,  promotion  and sales structure :

- Pages are being cutted. The Tio Patinhas magazine for example, used to be
printed with 130 pages. Since April 2004 , 100 pages, and this month,
august,  only 80 pages.

- There´s no more promotion . In the past, the new magazines used to be
promoted via TV advertisements,  Now, nothing. Even a little paper
advertisement in newsstands are made.

- There´s no more publicity. In the past, each comics used to receive
advertisment by strong companies like Nestle. Today, nothing.

- There´s no more people commenting about the stories. Childrens, and teens,
generally, buy another publishing products.

- There´s no more subscriptions. The magazines are only selled in the
newsstands. And newsstands generally don´t sale as sucessful as
subscriptions systems are .

And since this month, Editora Abril promoted  nonsense decisions :

The traditional Almanaque Disney was finished . Almanaque Disney was so
famous than Topolino is in Italy. In it´s place they began Aventuras Disney,
with only 80 pages.

And the worst off all decisions : They decided to sectorize the
distribuition. I explain :
They print the comics, send only to the southeast cities ( the richest
brazilian cities, like São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte), and
after three months, they are going to send  the non selled comics in another
brazilian cities.
This decision causes an exclusion feeling in brazilian readers that live on
"sectorized" cities. If you live in Porto alegre or in Salvador, you are
under a "second class reader" sensation.

And now, let´s analyse the causes :

First of all, Editora Abril created some years ago, new magazines for the
children public : Revista Recreio, and Witch. Both of them are receiving all
kind of sales efforts.  The Disney Comics are completely outside of the
process.

Second ; Disney Brasil company don´t work integrated with Editora Abril.
Disney Brasil promote only the new Disney characters, and forgot the
traditionals. Mr Marcos Rosset, the Disney Brasil President as I obsorve,
only  acts on the Disney Channel Closed TV .

And the main problem : They planned the Disney comics to be as cheaper as
possible. It´s wrong. The real whisper is to act on the "reader quality
perception".
Because promotion  less, people dont´t see quality on the comics.
So, they don´t buy comics! It´s possible to put  the best histories ever
time created by Disney Artists, and to sale with the cheaper price , people
are not going to buy.

Brazilian Comics market, if good management,  is a very profitable market.
At the same time, I think we are on the point of no return. The next step,
if nothing professional is done, is to finish the comics production.

To finish a comics magazine like Uncle Scrooge, in a country where 85 % of
new enterprises dies in it´s first 5 years old is a crime. Uncle Scrooge is
the only business world character , who gives the opportunity to talk about
business world subjects to children young and adults. obviously I love Uncle
Scrooge as a fan, but talking with professional vision : We need characters
like Uncle Scrooge.

Under this situation I ask for all : See with special care the decisions are
taken by the Editora Abril and Disney Brasil´s  executives .

Alexandre Saramelli
São Paulo - SP - Brasil

Alexandre Saramelli is 32 years old, and is an accountant.
Alexandre and his father Darcy Saramelli, 74 , loves Disney Comics,
specially Uncle Scrooge Character.