Another Disney list?

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Fri Feb 11 10:58:07 CET 2005

Søren Krarup Olesen wrote:

> Kai repried to Germund
>
>> Mailing Lists are hardly then optimal for your needs. You really
>> cannot control what kind of material comes to your mailbox (like the
>> mail I wrote yesterday). Instead a forum would work better.
>

> I am slightly amazed by Kai's reply to Germund. As far as I can see,
> this is not a question of "technology" (i.e. mailing lists vs. chat vs.
> whatever is out there of communication means).

Question wasn't about technology, but as fas as I can see, it could
solve some of the problems. And at least Germund seemed (in private
mail) to be happy with my answer, so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

Why "amazed"? Did it sound like I was saying "Bugger of to some forum,
Germund! We only talk about Barks and Rosa here!"?? ;-)
In that case I just wasn't clear enough, language barrier and all. I
really would love to see more posts about other writers/artists as well.
I was just trying to come up with a possible solution, not to set a policy.

> Why isn't a mailing list (one which even calls itself "Disney Comics
> Mailing List) *the* "tool" for sending posts about Disney Comics other
> than those created by Rosa/Barks?

Sure it is. I understood that Germund was seeing so many posts about
Barks and Rosa that he wished for himself a way to easily see only or
mostly discussion about other writers/artists. He wondered if there was
a list that centered around those many other currently less popular
ones. I am not aware of such a list. Instead of building complex mail
filters that exclude every post that mention Barks or Rosa, it would
probably be lot more useful to just be able to read the threads you are
interested in. Mailing lists tend to be quite laborious that way - web
forums are friendlier since they are arranged by threads and often  sub
categorized even more (for example: a own category for each Barks, Rosa,
Strobl, Murry, etc.). But they are not perfect either.

I guess there would be room for a well done forum also, I know that all
of our members wouldn't like to use it, but for some it would be a way
better option. I know some people who don´t like to get all that mail
and instead try to read the stuff that interests them by using DCML
archives. For them a forum would be a less clumsy way of keeping up and
contributing (can you even contribute unless you are subscribed?).

Ok, but lets talk about some of those other artist/writers for a change.
Any of our members having a script or art published in near future?