Another Disney List-- for non-Rosa/Barks created comics??

Marvinw marvinw at zahav.net.il
Fri Feb 11 19:37:09 CET 2005

The relatively small interest in Disney comics of perhaps the greatest creator of all, namely Floyd Gottfredson, is unfortunate and I believe it is mainly due to lack of exposure, at least in the Gemstone english language publications. I enthusiastically purchase the Gemstone Mickey, Donald, Scrooge, and WDC&S regular size comics, but reluctantly buy the Take-Along comics when available. In my opinion, the long stories of the latter have their plot needlessly stretched out and are not particularly entertaining.
 As I recall, David Gerstein (the Archival Editor for Gemstone) wrote an article or message in which he detailed which of the Gottfredson newspaper stories have been/not been republished in comics. The stories are fairly long but of various lengths, and I am sure David is familiar with their extent. Gladstone produced large size album trade paper backs with stories by Gottfredson and others, but I gather they were not big sellers compared to the regular size comics. However, Gemstone now with their  Take-Along comics have a format which should  be quite suitable to many of the Gottfredson stories. I would hope the Gary Leach would take note and maybe start the ball rolling to use that format to reintroduce us to the great Gottfredson stories.
Marvin Winitz