Great howling crashwagons!

Daniel J Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Mon Mar 14 23:48:44 CET 2005

This whole "Bomer Affair" is simply ridiculous and has gotten way out of
hand. My sympathies are with Kai and Rodney, since it seems to me that
every single one of Daniel's messages for the past two months or more has
been a thinly disguised attack on Don Rosa. I honestly can't understand
what there is to get so upset about on Daniel's part. If he doesn't care
for some parts of Don's view of the "Duck Universe"--that's fine, I don't
accept everything Don says as "gospel" either--for instance, his
statement that Mickey doesn't exist in the Duck World. But I don't have
any lasting grudge or "hate case" (as we'd call it here in the States)
against Don just because I disagree with him on that facet of his
"Universe". If Daniel doesn't like Don's stories and Don's use of the
Barks characters, why doesn't he just stop reading Don's stories?

I also don't really understand why Daniel seems so "afraid" of Don's
criticisms of him--criticisms in private e-mails. Doesn't he think Don
has a right to sort of dislike him after all the things Daniel's said
about Don's work and Don's friends? If I were in Daniel's place I
wouldn't find Rosa's "complaints" about him "very very scary." I can only
think that Daniel is a very mild-mannered man or else that he's trying to
make Don out to be some kind of bullying boogeyman--for what reason I
can't imagine. Daniel has become almost a mirror image of Sigvald
Grosfeld--Sigvald's every message was a potentially inflammatory defense
of some "anti-Rosa" statement that offended only Sigvald, and now
Daniel's every message has become a potentially inflammatory attack on
some "wrong-doing" of Rosa's that offends only Daniel.

I don't know all the background history on this feud that has been hinted
at here--stuff about the "Carl Barks Studio" and so forth. All I know is
that I love the stories of Carl Barks and the stories of Don Rosa, and I
don't see why there has to be an eternal war over which author is
"better." If I were Don I'd be ready to give up working in comics after
this; I sincerely hope he doesn't feel that way.  I also hope that Kai
doesn't leave the list, and I hope peace can be restored all around.