Dailies by Al Taliaferro, Bob Karp and... Carl Barks?

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu May 26 15:38:59 CEST 2005

Someone wrote on another forum:

> I think this is indeed YD 40-07-30. They changed the text!
> The strip YD 40-07-30 is in fact the one that David decribed on DCML
> (April 13th):

>> Donald has the "Phooie Six" fancy car demonstrated for him by a
>> showman at a used car lot.
> [not necessarily at a used car lot, I think it's a public road]
>> The car seems to pass muster with Donald:
>> "Okay, I'll take a chance on the Phooie Six," and we think he's
>> going to buy it. But in fact, he's just buying one ticket in a lottery
>> with a chance to win it.

> (This is the strip that might have been written by Barks, because
> Barks used the same gag later for US.)

Here's my reply:

You mean that X + Y = 2?

There must be more reasons. Otherwise the Barks-connection is nothing more
than a wild guess. Barks could have been inspired by Karp and Taliaferro.

It is known that Barks took Taliaferro's ducks in mind, as a model. See
for example the Dutch book by Wim van Helden.
And some Barks-ducks look remarkably similar to the Taliaferro's ducks, as
if Barks directly copied Taliaferro's art. (I dimly remember a Barks-gag
about cleaning a window, where Donald gets an idea. That very panel looks
like Taliaferro's style, almost as if he drew it.)

--- Daniël

"All this GOOD LUCK comes from having a MASCOT!"
(Which Barks story?) :-)

hint #1: "Hello, you little sawed-off mess of shark bait!"