Ashcans for trick-or-treaters

Elaine Ramshaw elaine1 at snet.net
Mon Nov 7 05:18:48 CET 2005

I want to second Chuck Munson's suggestion that Gemstone produce "ashcan"
Halloween comics every year that we fans could give out as treats on
Halloween. I was the happy recipient of a pack of 25, which I handed out
one-to-a-family to make them last longer. Like Chuck, I found people (kids
and parents) very pleased to get them. I agree with him that this could be a
great way to get the comics into the hands of kids who will never walk into
a comic book store. I have no idea whether it's economically feasible for
Gemstone, but it does seem to be a way Gemstone could make use of its
extremely loyal adult fan base to do its promotion on a grassroots level. I
know my friend Lowell Handy wished he could have had the comics to hand out
to his trick-or-treaters in Chicagoland. And my sister-in-law, who doesn't
read comics, wished she could have had them, too, just because she thinks
they're a much better treat than candy. (Note: other alternative-to-candy
treats tend not to work across the broad range of ages of trick-or-treaters;
comic books seem welcome to all, from pre-readers to teens.) I would
certainly be willing to pay for them, at least an amount equivalent to what
I would pay for candy treats. Probably more. And if I had some comics left
over after Halloween, I could drop them off in doctors' or dentists'
offices.

I'm imagining future Halloweens when I could give away Barks' Jet Witch, or
Rosa's Fit to Be Pied....

Elaine Ramshaw