Pocket books in Holland

H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Thu Apr 13 16:51:21 CEST 2006

Some news from the Disney comics editor in Holland (Sanoma).

The pocket books are a big success. They are now going to publish MORE
pocket books per year!

Until now, they published 8 normal pocket books, and 2 double-sized per
year.
For those, they used Egmont material of 9 normal books and 3 specials.
Egmont compiles 12 (or maybe 13) pocket books every year.
So every year, 3 normal Egmont pocket books were unused in Holland.

In the future, there will be 12 normal books and 4 double-sized books
per year!
So the Dutch need material for 20 books.
To get this material, they will use Egmont pocket books that weren't
used before!
(I could help them, using Inducks, to find out which they need.)

So in the end, the Dutch may even catch up with e.g. the large German
pocket book series.

Also, there are plans to reprint pocket books from series 2, in
full-colour.
In a separate series, because (as they say) the art style is too
different from the "modern" pocket book art style.
(Though yesterday I saw a 1960s Perego story in a recent pocket book...)

I asked the Dutch editor how they used to choose the Egmont pocket books
for usage in Holland. She said they only got content lists from Egmont,
so all they did was randomly choose 9 out of 12.
This explains why chapter 1 of the "TNT" series was not used in Holland,
while other chapters were: pure coincidence.
(And now we may see TNT chapter 1 after all...)

The above probably only makes sense to people who know what I'm talking
about... 8-)
--Harry.