Direct references to Barks-stories

Jonathan H. Gray jongraywb at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:17:13 CEST 2006

>Jonathan H. Gray wrote:
>
> > Can anyone think of non Barks artists/writers who [made
> > references in their stories] either to thier own stories or even
> > to Barks'?
>
>The US Bucky Bug comic book stories have quite a bit of continuity.
>In one story, for instance, Bucky and Bo tell Bucky's wife June how
>they met Bootle Beetle, as seen in a previous story.

I'd forgotten about Bucky Bug. Plus (if I remember correctly) weren't some
minute parts of the newspaper serials referenced in early Bucky stories
also? Surprising that it had as much continuity as it did though I guess the
nice thing about that is that each story could stand on it's own. I suppose
the same goes for Moores and Murry's Brer Rabbit serials as well.

To veer off topic for a bit, I remember when Disney ran "Brer Rabbit and the
Garden of Eatin'" in Comics and Stories and it surprised me just how many
resisdents of the "Brer Rabbit" community arent seen much anymore outside of
small cameos - i.e Brer Terrapin, Brer Groun'hawg, the raccoon from that
same story, and specifically Molly whom you'd think would have a much larger
role in Brer Rabbit stories in general. I suppose thats because we sadly
dont see as many Brer Rabbit stories as I'd personally like in the
states...I do like that in the Dell era, Zeke Wolf (whom I'm positive was
referred to as Brer Wolf once or twice), the three pigs, and Lil Wolf were
incorporated into said community which IMO just made sense. Do the
characters see print in Europe more often than they do in the states? And
also - concerning European contiuity, most the Brer charcters live outside
of Duckburg deep in the Black Forest area, correct? Or how does that work? I
seem to recall a Barks Grandma Duck story where the Big Bad Wolf actually
did appear though I imagine he had no hand in writing it.

>The only thing I remember right now is that he read Al Taliaferro's
>Donald Duck newspaper strip, contributed a few ideas to it and
>used many characters from it.

Hence Bolivar. And Taliaferro made extensive use of Scrooge later on too.

>And I think he also read Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse strip.

^__^

>Oh, and I believe he liked the material Vic Lockman wrote for him.

Lockman wrote for Barks? THIS I did not know. What stories if I may ask?

>And there was another writer (identity unknown) who he described
>as an old hack.

LOL! I dont know why that strikes me as funny as it does. :)

Jonathan H. Gray