filler stories

Wouter van de Zandschulp winnendewouter at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 5 17:10:52 CEST 2006

Kai Saarto wrote about 'filler stories' in weeklies, featuring Zeke Wolf,
Hiawatha, Bucky Bug and others.

I am from Holland, where there is a great tradition in our weekly magazine
to use these stories. I believe this is because the weekly started out with
American stories like these and they decided not to just get rid of those
characters after those stories where mostly published. That's why dutch
artist started producing these stories themself. A lot of them are drawn by
ComicUp Studio artist these days.

They reason they keep producing them might also be the variety of characters
the weekly thus contains. The dutch weekly produces a magazine with several
'worlds' and characters and is very divers. Readers get Donald every week,
Mickey most weeks, but also some other colorful animals, like dogs, wolves,
mice, etc. Also, the dutch magazine gives a lot of attention to the younger
readers, which these shorter stories are more suitable for.

Finally, considering Zeke Wolf, I guess a lot of dutch people just have a
thing for him. The way he keeps chasing the pigs year after year...
Now most of his stories are the work of ComicUp Studios, but there used to
be another artist who gave the wolf sort of a world of his own, which
probably contributed greatly to his popularity.