Oswald's return to Disney

David Gerstein ramapith at verizon.net
Sun Aug 20 18:19:18 CEST 2006

     Rich,

> as I recall Oswald, while under Disney original creatorship, had a
> regular gal-pal whose name escapes me at the moment. Honey? Nah!

     Nope! Honey is Bosko's sweetie.

> Maybe she was nameless... and a cat ta'boot!

     Oswald did often date a girl cat. Her name was Sadie in her
Disney days. At Lantz, she was later renamed Kitty.
     Oswald also had a rabbit girlfriend named Fanny in the early
days. Later, in the mid-1930s, Lantz retconned Fanny into Oswald's
sister.

> How will Oswald's luck compare to that of Gladstone's? ;-)

     The reports of Oswald's luck have been greatly exaggerated. (-:
     I think it's more apt, given the Disney Oswald cartoons, to say
that Oswald thinks of himself as lucky, not to mention full of charm
and savoir faire. But in practice, he tends to trip over his feet.

> The name Oswald sounds a bit "off"

     It works for me. It's certainly unusual, but it's also not a
name you forget easily.

     David