"Plot paid by Burbank" D-stories...

BFOSTERLA at aol.com BFOSTERLA at aol.com
Mon May 15 18:57:57 CEST 2006

Re: "Plot paid by Burbank" D-stories...

Disney Comics, Inc. bought the original scripts for these stories  before its
1991
"implosion"; but after the "implosion," Disney Comics'  budget had been
reduced, so they could no longer afford to have the stories  drawn.

Yeah, that jogged my memory. I remember suggesting to the sales and
marketing wizards that long stories would be a good thing to do. Maybe run them
initially in several issues of one of the titles, then reprint the compilation  in
hardback book form. I think some of them ran about 96 - 100 pages, but these
were fully fleshed out stories with great plots, sub-plots and tangential
character exposition. I'd forgotten about Huck Akin's "Oak Island Treasure." I
remember he did a ton of research and came in with an exciting plot outline
that  just had to be done. Pat McGreal did one involving Hawaiian mythology that
I did  see in print. I recall another story notion based on a Swing Music
orchestra  contest involving a symphony-sized gathering of Beagle Boys entitled
"Boogie  Woogie Beagle Boys," but I don't know what happened with that.

I don't have easy access to whatever records I might have, so unless I see  a
script synopsis or some artwork, a title and code number don't do me much
good.

I think the Disney "implosion" was more of a 1992 event and was  one of the
things that motivated my departure. The  budget was reduced because the numbers
crunchers wanted to show more profit.  (The best way to increase profit is to
do better stuff that more people want and  more people will buy, not by
decreasing the budget and cheapening the production  values.) I believed long
stories that could be reprinted later as hardback books  that could go on
bookshelves in bookstores, not just comic shops, would be a  great item that fans and
non-fans alike would want. I wanted to do a line of  comic BOOKS, hard covered
editions of about 120 pages, that would appear monthly  but were not
cover-dated so they could stay on bookshelves year round.

As for "...so they could no longer afford to have the stories  drawn..." good
grief! If the money controllers had just stood behind us  and supported us,
we might have done some memorable, groundbreaking stuff.  But, no... they had
to squeeze us into monetary oblivion. Gladstone operated for  years on a
handful of dedicated and talented people in modest offices in an  affordable area
(Arizona). Disney had about 35 people in some of the most  expensive real estate
in Burbank, with computers (I didn't get one), secretaries  (not me), and
supervisors (I had four). No wonder they couldn't afford to  publish comics. My
favorite quote by one of the semi-suits - "Here at WD  Publications, we're not
building a publishing empire, we're building  resumes."  They saw Disney
Comics as a way to prove they could reduce  budgets and still get the work done,
then used that skill to get jobs elsewhere.

David, you also said, "But because Disney Comics, Inc. in Burbank  had
already paid for the scripts, Egmont didn't have to pay for them  again."

I'm not so sure that's entirely true. I think Gutenberghus (Egmont) did buy
the scripts, perhaps at a reduced price, but maybe also as a diplomatic favor
to  Disney. It doesn't make sense to me that the budget conscious folks in
Burbank  would ever simply give anything away without breaking even on the
expense.

Finally - Hello to Flemming Andersen! Still playing the drums?

- Bob