What is it

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Fri Jan 19 17:27:32 CET 2007

Dean:

> I have a question for Gary.  At first you compared a possible B/W
> Gemstone title to "Shonen Jump".  Later you seemed to compare it
> more to a Showcase/Essentials type title.  I think there are two
> big differences to the two.  One, Shonen Jump comes out on a
> regular basis like a periodical.  Showcase/Essentials do not come
> out on a monthly or regular basis.  Two, Shonen Jump costs about 5
> or 6 dollars each, whereas Showcase/Essentials cost more like
> between $15.00 and $20.00.  I would be curious whether Shonen Jump
> or Showcase/Essentials is the type of B/W title Gemstone is
> considering?  Of course from what has been written on the list,
> Gemstone may be reconsidering having such a B/W title at all.

Shonen Jump is distributed to newsstands, while the DC and Marvel
black-and-white Silver Age collections - and Gemstone Disney comics -
are not. So when I think of proposed black-and-white books in terms
of their market presence,  I think in terms of the DC and Marvel
efforts.

However, the books themselves are not conceived as being
retrospective. They're intended to contain recent material, not forty-
year-old reprints. So when I think in terms of their content, I think
of Shonen Jump.

In any case, it all boils down to arriving at a clear idea of how to
proceed with publications that take cues from two main precedents
like this.

Gary