Jose Carioca's "Killing Joke"

Arthur afaria at projesom.com.br
Sun Jul 1 15:56:14 CEST 2007

Maciek:

> http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=BC+ZC+2017
>
> "A Piada sem Sal"
>
> Aperently this story is parody of Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" (which
> is as my favorite Batman story, one of moust dark and voilent comics I
> ever read... and propably the last thing I would suspect to be spoof in
> Disney comics... Which is actualy a postive suprise)
>
> Can somebody give me more info on this Carioca story?
> How's the plot of this story is close to the orginal Alan Moore story?

Maciek, in 1994 Editora Abril wanted to improve Joe Carioca's hero identity
"Morcego Verde" (Green Bat) and then creator Marcelo Cassaro wrote 4
stories:

1) B 940063 "O Cavaleiro das Dívidas" (writer: Marcelo Cassaro. Artist:
Paulo Borges).
http://coa.inducks.org/s.php/x/B+940063
Something like "The Debts Knight" - It's a spoof of Frank Miller's "The Dark
Knight", where Morcego Verde's origin is re-told following Moore's vision
(very softened of course). Joe Carioca becomes the Green Bat after a
"psychological shock" (including slow motion marbles falling on the ground),
when a debt collector succeeds to make him pay a debt. Then he puts on the
bat costume and starts "punishing" any debt collector he finds (including
soccer referees). Chief O'Hara has to call Super Goof to try to stop him. In
the end he agrees to stop the punishments, but goes on as the Green Bat.
Good artist Paulo Borges made a nice job using Miller's art as reference,
and got the 1995's Abril Journalism Award-1995 for the best comic art.

2) B 940098 "O Morcegomóvel" (Marcelo Cassaro/Paulo Borges)
http://coa.inducks.org/s.php/x/B+940098
Green Bat tests his new "batmobile" built by Pedrão and Nestor.

3) B 940104 "A Piada sem Sal" (Marcelo Cassaro/Paulo Borges)
http://coa.inducks.org/s.php/x/B+940104
Yes, a spoof of "The Killing Joke" by Moore and Bolland (something like "The
Unsalted Joke"), where the mad villain "Moringa" (spoof of the Joker)
kidnapped Joe's girlfriend Rosinha and hidden her in an amusement park in an
attempt to catch Green Bat. Of course it's a very softened version of
Moore's story.
Again, Paulo Borges made a nice job using references of Moore's art
(including rain drops on puddles in the beginning and in the end)

4) B 940166 "A Mulher-Gatinha" (Marcelo Cassaro/Paulo Borges)
http://coa.inducks.org/s.php/x/B+940166
Something like "The Pussycat-woman". Rosinha, fed up with Joe being the
Green Bat all the time and giving no attention to their relationship (yes,
people know Joe is the Green Bat, but he always pretends they don't), buys a
"cat-woman" costume and gives Joe a lesson in the top of Rio's Christ
statue.
And again, nice job of artist Paulo Borges, especially depicting Rosinha as
a gorgeous cat-woman (see http://coa.inducks.org/s.php/x/BC+ZC+2024).
He was nominated for the 1996's Abril Journalism Award for the best comic
art.

After those stories, regular Green Bat stories follows up with the new
visual and concept.

-- Arthur.