1940 Liberty Magazine cover by Barks?

Rob McCallum rnjmvc at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 16:44:14 CEST 2007

I have a copy of the October 19, 1940 issue of Liberty magazine which has a
Disney cover (Donald in his  runabout all decked out in patriotic
paraphernalia including a 'hood ornament' of a live eagle tied to the
radiator and dressed as Uncle Sam.  When I bought it many years ago the
seller claimed the cover was by Carl Barks.  The cover is, of course, signed
"Walt Disney" and the cover credits only says " Front Cover Copyrighted 1940
by Walt Disney Productions."  Can any one tell me authoritatively whether it
is, in fact, by Barks?  Donald looks very like early Barks.  In any case it
is great art work.

Rob