Rewriting

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Tue Jun 19 08:27:58 CEST 2007

The subject of rewriting (not translating, as some have erroneously
referred to it) has always been a touchy one. Those who find it
disagreeable that rewriters add things to stories that aren't in the
original versions have my sympathy, for I've found some of that to be
rather disagreeable, too. However, as a rewriter myself, I've
committed similar offenses, so I'm probably not one to talk.

But I will anyway, because Don Markstein and John Lustig pointed out
what rewriting is about. Don boiled it down nicely: "My sole mandate
in this work is to make it entertaining." I'll punch that up by
saying that this isn't a mere mandate, but what Gemstone absolutely
requires. We don't pay people to make things readable - any competent
editor can do that - but to do whatever they can think of - whatever
it takes - to make 'em crackle, make 'em sing, make 'em everything
they can possibly be. And just so rewriters aren't twisting in the
wind out there by themselves, not a word of what they produce gets
into print without the approval of Gemstone's editors, who have the
same job every editor on the globe has - making sure the material IS
everything it can be.

Gary