DCML Digest, Vol 52, Issue 18

Luca Boschi totemboschi at libero.it
Thu Jun 21 15:14:18 CEST 2007

Hi, all!

Sad news, unfortunately: maybe you don't know yet that the comic book
artist Roger Armstrong passed away, some ten days ago... I send you a
memory about him about our common friend Alberto Becattini, who was
in touch with him, in recent years.

Luca Boschi

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Roger Joseph Armstrong (1917-2007)

At 8.00 PM on June 7th, 2007, Roger Armstrong passed away due to a
heart attack. Roger had suffered a previous attack in 2005, but had
since recovered. Anyway... Another one of the greats is gone. I
corresponded with Roger for years, and earlier this year, thanks to
friend Didier Ghez, I finally managed to have his biography published
in "Walt's People" #4. I sent Roger a copy and he was very happy about
it. Roger was a versatile artist who worked in animation, comics,
illustration, and taught painting until his very last days on Earth
(hope he'll be teaching up in Heaven now...). Disney-wise, he worked on
the Scamp daily strip for ten years (1978-88), but mainly drew (and
sometimes wrote as well) comic-book stories from 1942-78, starring
Little Minnehaha, The Li'l Bad Wolf, The Seven Dwarfs, Super Goof, The
Beagle Boys, and others yet. He also worked on Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig,
Sniffles and Mary Jane, The Lucy Show, H.R. Pufnstuf, The Funky
Phantom, The Flintstones - - you name them. He wrote and drew the Bugs
Bunny Sunday page in 1943-44, and drew it again in 1978-79. He also
wrote and drew Ella Cinders, Napoleon and Uncle Elby, Little Lulu and
The Flintstones for newspapers. Roger certainly deserves a place in the
Comics Hall of Fame. He was a great man and a multi-talented artist. He
will be sorely missed.

Alberto Becattini