CBLDF Needs Your Help

fabio blanco blankfabio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:21:52 CEST 2007

Just when I was seeing the new Gemstone Comic Book for give in
Halloween, I receive that newsletter. For me, in Argentina is very
difficult help with something, but I hope some of you guys can make
something. Thanks!
FABIO
----------------

Gordon Lee Trial Date Set -- CBLDF Needs Your Help!

The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund urgently needs your help.  This  August,
the long-running case of Georgia v. Gordon Lee will finally go to trial,  with
court costs expected to hit $20,000.

For nearly three years the Fund has defended Georgia retailer Gordon Lee,
seeing him through multiple arraignments and procedures, and racking up $80,000
in legal bills.  The charges stem from a Halloween 2004 incident in which
Lee handed out, among other free comics, an anthology featuring an excerpt from
the critically acclaimed graphic novel The Salon.  The segment depicted a
historically accurate meeting between 20th Century art icons Georges Braque and
Pablo Picasso, the latter depicted in the nude.  It was a harmless  sequence,
no more explicit than the nudity displayed in the award winning  Watchmen.
Yet because the title found its way into the hands of a minor,  Floyd County
prosecutors hit Lee with two felony counts and five  misdemeanors.  The Fund
eventually knocked out most of the charges, but  must now defeat the two
remaining misdemeanor counts of Distribution of Harmful  to Minors Material, each
carrying a penalty of up to one year in prison and up  to $1,000 in fines.

The case is slated to go to trial the week of August 13.  We urgently  need
your support in order to wage the best defense possible against these
remaining charges, and that means raising the $20,000 that the trial is expected  to
cost.  Here's how you can help:

Make A Monetary Donation: Every dollar counts, so please visit the  cbldf.org
and make a tax-deductible contribution today.  As a thank-you for  making a
donation of $30 or more, the Fund will give you a brand new t-shirt  displaying
the text of the First Amendment in the shape of an American  flag.  Show your
commitment to free speech, and your support for this very  important case.

Join The CBLDF:  Now is the time to join or renew your membership in  the
Fund.  Your member dollars provide the baseline of support that we need  to
perform our casework, and defend your right to buy whatever comics you  wish.  If
you join now with a basic membership of $25 you will receive a  CBLDF Member
Card, featuring new Groo art by the one-and-only Sergio Aragones,  as well as a
subscription to our news publication Busted!, and special admission  to CBLDF
events across the country.  If you join at a level of $100 or  more, you will
also receive one of the new First Amendment t-shirts.

Donate Original Art & Collectibles:  With summer conventions upon  us, the
Fund needs original art, high-grade comics, and other collectible items  to make
the most of our summer auctions.  Please e-mail _cbldf1 at gmail.com_
(mailto:cbldf1 at gmail.com)  for more information about  how to donate to our auctions, or
with a description of your intended  donation.  If your donation is accepted
for our summer auctions, you will  receive a letter of acknowledgment and a
2007 membership.  To ensure that  your donation is received safely, please do
not send physical items until  accepted by the CBLDF.

With Gordon Lee's freedom in the balance, the CBLDF needs everyone who
values Free Expression in comic books to do his or her part to support this very
important case.  Please visit _www.cbldf.org_ (http://www.cbldf.org)  and make
your contribution  today.

Donations: _http://cbldf.safeshopper.com/12/cat12.htm?479_
(http://cbldf.safeshopper.com/12/cat12.htm?479)