Bill Wright

JTorci3511 at aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 16:24:05 CEST 2007

Joakim and Everyone:

The Bill Wright info was fascinating!  Thank you for sharing it with  us.

It's hard to believe that someone as talented as Wright had to resort  to
printing his own publicity booklets in an effort to drum up work.

How did this man not have, at the very least, a life long situation with
Western Publishing?  My love for Paul Murry's work is well documented in  many
places, but I still feel that Bill Wright was the best Mickey Mouse North
American comic book artist (...and when I say "comic book artist", of course  that
excludes Floyd Gottfredson).

Look no further than "The World Under the Sea" or "Spooks Island" -- both
recently reprinted by Gemstone -- for proof.

I can only imagine how much greater the Mickey comic books of the  1950-1970s
would have been if Paul Murry handled the WDC&S serials and Bill  Wright did
at least the adventure leads in the "regular" MM comic book -- in  much the
same way Carl Barks handled Donald in WDC&S while Tony Strobl did  most of
Donald's "regular" series!  Having Murry AND Bill  Wright... how wonderful!

Wright DID return to Mickey comics for a brief time in the '70s, but it  sure
would have been sweet to have seen his art all the way through!  And  to have
had more to enjoy when he was in his prime!

Thanks again, Joakim!  Please share anything else of this nature with  us!

Joe Torcivia