Sea Scouts (was Re: DCML Digest, Vol 55, Issue 23)

Jonathan Williams jonvw at jonvw.com
Wed Sep 26 18:34:45 CEST 2007

In the 1939 cartoon, the nephews aren't identified as being Junior
Woodchucks.  They are simply on a sailing trip with Donald, though if I
remember the cartoon correctly, the context does seem to indicate that
they are doing this as a part of some sort of scouting organization or
activity.  IIRC, the Junior Woodchucks weren't created until much later
in the Barks comics.  As far as I know, the Junior Woodchucks did not
appear in animated cartoons until DuckTales in the 1980s (at least in
the US).

As someone who grew up in the US and spent part of his childhood both
scouting and reading Duck comics, I would say that there is no question
that the Junior Woodchucks/Chickadees would be considered scouts here.
The similarities between the real life organizations and the ones in the
comics are so strong that it had never occurred to me that anyone might
consider JW/C anything but a good-natured parody of scouting.

-Jonathan

Jonathan Williams
jonvw at jonvw.com