Gemstone Is Back (Cross Your Fingers)

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 19:58:41 CET 2008

Hi Everyone,

I hadn't seen anyone mention it here, so I will offer
up that in the last couple weeks I received my
November subscription issues of Comics and Stories and
Uncle Scrooge.  I hope that this is a good sign of
Gemstone being able to fulfill the schedule that they
had established earlier.

I'll offer my two-cents on the third prestige title:
yes, I'd very much like to see it if it is the only
regular book that can sell at least as well as the
other two.  The specials are fine and I don't have
many brickbats to throw about them (and won't right
now), but they don't take the place of a standard
title.  My only caution to Gemstone is to listen
closely to the feedback you've requested.  As is
evident here, many Disney comics fans appear to have
some strong opinions.  With the US economy on a
south-bound track at the moment, your market may very
well be limited to the hard-core Disney comics fans,
as much as I hate to say that. Be careful, whatever
you do.

I sense a lot of stories that are probably languishing
in want of a book in which to publish them.  My
interests are strong toward Mickey, Donald, and
Scrooge, but those who know me know that my Disney
comics interests go a lot farther afield then that.

The only other suggestion that I would like to make is
for Gemstone to continue to make use of the wonderful
Italian "great literature" parodies beyond that of
Dante's Inferno.  I'm sure they got mixed reaction to
that.  I loved it.  Paired with some background on the
novel being parodied, I feel this could be a strong
fun and educational experience.  Most are long enough
to be published as either separate specials, or a
collection.  And we've got some cracker-jack dialogue
artists here who have proven long ago their ability to
wordsmith with great wit and eloquence.

This is longer than I intended, so thanks for bearing
with me,
'til I unlurk again,
Chuck Munson
Herndon, Virginia, USA