Daan Jippes front cover for US375, March 2008

Larry Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 10 08:42:42 CEST 2008

      I bought my copy of Gemstone's latest US, #375, March 2008.  The long
story is a reprint of Barks' "Twenty-four Carat Moon" US #24, Dec.
1958.  The front cover is by Daan Jippes, featuring Scrooge in a space suit
leaping out of a rocket ship, being greeted by "little green men".  But the
cover is not actually based on anything in Barks' story.  The little green
men on the cover are not similar to Barks' green space alien,
Muchkale.  Instead, they are closely related to the 2 little aliens in
Barks' story "Island in the Sky", US #29, March 1960, page 7, panels
7-8.  This was only a cameo appearance for these mini-asteroid dwellers,
who did not interact with the ducks.  But other than the similar little
green men, Daan Jippes' cover has no close connection with this Barks'
outer space story, either.   So does anyone know what Jippes' original
purpose was for this cover art?
      Best wishes,         Larry Giver.