The Helper's Origin Story that never was?

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Tue Sep 30 13:05:43 CEST 2008

As a follow-up on my previous post: I remember reading a
message to DCML, in which someone (Lars Jensen? Olaf
Solstrand?) mentioned that he wanted to do a story on the
origins of Gyro's helper, until he heared of Don Rosa
planning to do just such a story. I'm still curious as to
what became of this unfinished(?) Helper's Origin Story.

I know that Don Rosa already told us (his version of) the
origin of Gyro's Little Helper in "Gyro's First
Invention", but that doesn't mean we can't have multiple
versions. Especially since the other version originated
before of simultaneously with Don Rosa's, so it's possibly
not even influenced by Rosa's version.

As it is, "Gyro's First Invention" is probably my second
least favourite Rosa story, right after "The Three
Caballeros and the Preposterous Title That Didn't Have
Anything To Do With The Story", albeit not because of the
Helper's origin story.

Greetings from Michiel Prior (Groningen, the Netherlands)