Disney comic books USA

Olivier (M&D) mouse-ducks at orange.fr
Wed Apr 1 13:28:28 CEST 2009

Making suggestions is easy when you're a total layman, with insufficient knowledge of the arcane matters of publishing and licencing, and without the first cent to back up anything, but, for discussion's sake, my ideas (dreams?) would be the following.

Publish hardcover anthologies of  Barks, Rosa, but also, at long last, of Gottfredson & Taliaferro-- the way Gladstone did with the CBL, or Gemstone & Dark Horse with E.C. & Warren comics respectively, or Fantagraphics with Peanuts.
So-called sensitive strips can easily be dealt with in introductions and essays, the way they do with Leonard Maltin's introductions on the DVDs.

Have softcover "samplers" of those, by theme for instance, for a larger audience.
Gemstone's Walt Disney Treasures was a splendid idea, which the Walt Disney Company ought to have supported and used by associating the books with the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs (DVD+book sets, and DVD & book sold separately but side by side).

The DVDs (Walt Disney Treasures or not) would be an excellent medium to promote "regular" Disney comic books, and vice versa-- ads, special offers (one DVD offered for a subscription to a title, a sample batch of comic issues offered for two DVDs bought, ...).

You should be able to buy the books & comics in Disney Stores around the world (not just in the parks).

In several cases, The Walt Disney Company ought to be more active in promoting the books: it is in their interest that the licenced books sell well (and forever), they can have ads in them, and I don't think distributing them in their stores would cost much more than the distribution of toys and plush dolls in their stores-- and an experiment could easily be made with relatively small quantities (which would not take much more shelf space than a few large dolls) in a few stores.

Olivier