gender stereotypes and relationships in duckburg

Christoffer Vedberg christoffer_1765 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:16:16 CEST 2009

Hi all!

First time poster, long time lurker. I've been following your dicussions for years, but hasn't yet felt the need to post. However, recently I have been thinking a lot about relationships in the duck stories. Particulary Daisy and Donald. Now, is it just me or is Daisy portrayed as a very unlikeble character? She always seems angry or moody, she always critizes Donald but becomes furious if he does it back, is always jelous if Donald so much as looks at another girl (usually followed by her hitting him in the head with her purse), yet feels no shame about going out with Gladstone while still dating Donald. I just can't help but think about the many kids who read these comics, and the kind of message it sends to them. I mean, isn't it giving them a negative view on such things as love and relationships, and girls in general (since most readers are boys).

Would it hurt for the writers to portray the Daisy-Donald relationship with some warmth and tenderness? So far, the stories were Daisy actually seems to care about Donald at all are few and far between. I think something needs to be done about this. Or am I overreacting?

Btw: since Don's eye surgery and retirement, has he stopped using the internet and posting on dcml? I sent him an e-mail a while back where I expressed my gratitude for all his stories and retold some of my favorite memories since I wanted him to know how much he's meant to me, but he never got back to me. Is his condition making it too hard for him to read anymore? I ask this because I sent many e-mails to him in 2001 and 2002 and he always wrote back, so I'm thinking it has to do with the surgery.

Regards/ Christoffer