Gemstone

Brian Tucker dogfish35 at telus.net
Wed Feb 11 13:29:12 CET 2009

Carl Lund did not write the quote you mentioned.

The reason the buying public isn't buying Disney titles is, in part, due to
the endless reprints of Barks stories. Why spend good money for yet another
copy of a story that you already have five or six copies of?

There are good stories available, perhaps not as good as Barks/Rosa, but
still good stories that have never been printed here. I have heard from many
long standing Disney collectors that they stopped buying them because of
all the continuing reprints of Barks. I'm glad you think I posssess the
millions of dollars it would require to take up the Disney license, but
unfortunately I don't. I'm sure they haven't been profitable for some time.
Whether or not reducing the number of reprints they publish would increase
their profitability is anybody's guess, but it would improve their sales.
Yes, Gemstone is trying, but their efforts are misguided.

Ten years ago, the store I deal with had about 25 customers buying all the
Disney titles. Now they have one - me. I have been buying every Disney title
published  since 1954, and still have them all.

Since you appear to be knowledgable in Gemstone's problems, have you
considered taking up the Disney license? I suspect it will be available
soon.