screaming cowboy lyrics

nils at math.uio.no nils at math.uio.no
Sat Nov 21 13:59:46 CET 2009

Could we use the occasion & collective knowledge
of this esteemed group to have Donald Duck's
most successful song text ever in different translations?

I believe there are actually two Norwegian versions,
from different editions; the one I instantly recall is
as follows:

O, skjenk meg en grav
i det isgrønne hav
og la bølgene
kvele min gråt!

(In particular, the guitar has been gently put away
in this version.)

The German version is as follows:

Und lieg ich der-einst auf der Bah-re
So denk auch an meine Gui-tah-re
und legt sie mir mit in mein Gra-hab

It has a something Herta Müller-ish about it.
And indeed the D.O.N.A.L.D. organisation has
decided that

"Es soll sich ja niemand einfallen lassen,
irgendwo etwas gegen diese Hymne vorzubringen."

I wholeheartedly agree.

Nils Lid Hjort