More on those U.S. sales numbers...

Kneon Transitt hey.kneon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 20:59:15 CEST 2010

I don't have an easy answer, either. I do see that Boom's numbers are
dropping faster than Gemstone's, and in a much shorter period of time. We've
gone from WDC&S selling close to 7,000 books in October to dipping under
4,000 copies last month. DDF and Hero Squad have fallen off the Diamond Top
300 completely at this point.

I think part of the problem is that while Boom has been going after kids
with these titles, the genre-specific content and format has also alienated
the hardcore collectors who supported the Gemstone books. It could also be
that there are just too many Disney books on the shelf now, and that each
new book dilutes the readership for one of the other books. It could be that
the direct market isn't the place to peddle standard character Disney books,
as kids don't spend a lot of time in comic book shops in 2010. It could be
any of the above... it could be all of the above... and it could be some
other reason we're just not aware of. One thing is for certain, however,
it's *not* because the characters aren't worth reading.

Another theory being kicked around in that thread is that maybe more
American creators could create stories with the characters to appeal more to
today's American kids, vs. simply using reprints of stories written for
overseas markets. (I'm in that camp myself, but want to stress that I'm in
no way belittling European or Italian produced stories... just pointing out
that those stories are targeting kids in a totally different market.)

I think Darkwing Duck will do well. But again, it's going for nostalgia, and
I have to wonder how many kids will latch on to a comic book sequel to a
20-year-old cartoon show that's been off the air for a decade or longer. If
it's written under presumption that readers are already familiar with the
cartoon show, then, well... it'll have limited appeal. But nostalgia sells
in the direct market, and I predict some good numbers.

But that's just a mini-series, isn't it? And it doesn't help the other books
any.

Frankly, I don't have any answers. Just pointing out some numbers, and
wondering how long it'll be until the Disney comics rug gets pulled out from
underneath us Americans again. :-/

Peace,
Kneon
http://kneontransitt.blogspot.com