[SPG,Suspected,pattern=3.60]Re: Donald Duck Classics

JTorci3511 at aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 13:48:33 CEST 2010

Leo and everyone:
I do not own the Chrismas book, so cannot comment on it – BUT I do own
both the Valentines and the first Mickey volume… and they are high quality
products.  No problems with the  binding, and there’s a nice little red cloth
bookmark attached, so that you can  always keep your place among all the
goodies you’ll fond therein.  They’ll look attractive on anyone’s  bookshelf.
Boom! has done a very nice job with these.  Amazon’s price of 16.50 is
actually  quite good, for a list of 25.00, and this is the way I’d recommend
buying them.  It’s how I’ve done it, and will  continue to do it.
The Mickey book is worth it for the superb version of the  early
Gottfredson tale “Mickey Mouse vs. Kat Nipp”!  Not to mention “Seven Colored Terror”
 and other works by Murry, Scarpa – and Barks’ “Riddle of the Red Hat”.
Oddly, though, the Donald volume which I’ve heard is out  in comic shops as
of last week, will not ship to me until sometime in April – so  I may be
seeing my own dialoguing work after those patronizing their local comic
shops.  The price and (if you order  it in conjunction with something else to
make 25.00) the free shipping still  make it very worthwhile.
For those who do not care for Bob Gregory’s art – and  count me among them
– “The Paper Route Panic” is only written by him and drawn  by Tony
Strobl.  It’s an old  favorite “Donald causes chaos” story, that was the lead in
the first Donald Duck  series comic I’ve owned as a very young child.
David Gerstein translated (from the Italian) and I  dialogued “Moldfinger –
 or The Spy Who Ducked-Out on Me”.  1966 was my favorite year of all time
for pop culture – and I loved the opportunity to work on something that
originated from that year!  I hope  you’ll enjoy it.  Do or don’t,  there’s
some great Carl Barks in there that everyone will enjoy!
Joe Torcivia.

Here are Leo's original comments for reference.

Amazon sent  me an ad for a new hardbound edition of "classic Carl Barks
stories,"
which  BOOM has entitled Quack Up.  At $16.50 it is not cheap, and some
reviewers have complained about the quality of the paper and the binding of

the previous effort of Christmas stories.  Have others here experienced
similar problems?

However, only two Carl Barks stories are involved:  Luck of the North
(1949) and
Donald the Milkman (1957). Four others are  included: one by Bob Gregory
from 1959
called Paper Route Panic, then The  Master's Touch by Bergstr?m and Olsen
(1979),
Mission: Moldfinger (1966) by  Carlo Chendi, and Nothing New by Lars Jensen.

Susan Daigle-Leach, Joe  Torcivia, and David Gerstein are involved in the
production.