Grandma Duck is the mother of Donald

Pim Heeman phm at inducks.org
Tue May 15 12:16:33 CEST 2018

> I invented this theory from the facts that,
> first of all, Grandma Duck is the sister of Uncle Scrooge.

> But, Grandma Duck is *not* the sister of Scrooge McDuck. A look at the
Duck
> Family Tree by Don Rosa will confirm this, *and* that Grandma Duck is
> Donald's grandmother.

In (mostly of Dutch origin) comics in the Netherlands, Scrooge is a brother
of Grandma Duck. When translating Life of Scrooge in Dutch, the
editors/translator gave Dumbella Duck the name 'Doortje', an alternative
form of the Dutch name of Grandma Duck, 'Dora', since they thought Dumbella
Duck and Grandma Duck were the same person! In later episodes, it turns out
this was wrong, but then the name was already made up. Despite that, in a
recent Dutch weekly, Grandma Duck stills calls Scrooge with 'broerlief' (=
'dear brother').

> Secondly, in her
> second comic on which she was first seen in flesh and blood. * Donald says
> that grandmother comes, when he tells the nephews that grandmother is
> coming, he probably means that his grandmother is his mother.
> * This sentence may have been confused by you, but I meant: YD 43-09-27.

As far as I know, in the first daily with Grandma Duck (of 27 September
1943), Donald never says inside the comic that a grandmother is coming: the
nephews must have heard of this before the start of the comic.

> Also in
> another comic of Al Taliaferro she says son to Donald. In Donald's Grandma
> Duck the cousins also say when they come: "Grandma".

In English, it is common to say 'son' to a younger person to reflect age
difference. The nephews (not cousins) might say 'grandma' for the sake of
simplicity: it is easier to say grandma than great-grandmother (Rosa made a
joke about this in W.H.A.D.A.L.O.T.T.A.J.A.R.G.O.N.).

> Who agrees that the theory is correct that Grandma Duck is the mother of
> Donald and not the grandmother.

To answer your question: not me, based your current theory.

Pim Heeman